20 fun facts and trivia about the beautiful country of Colombia.The official name of Colombia is the Republic of Colombia.
1. The name “Colombia” was derived from the name of the famed explorer, Christopher Columbus.
2. The official name of Colombia is the Republic of Colombia.
3. The capital city of Colombia is Bogota.
4. Colombia is the oldest democracy in Latin America.
5. As Colombia is located near the equator, it does not have seasons, and enjoys sunlight throughout the year.
6. Colombia is the second largest producer of coffee, accounting for 12% of the world’s coffee.
7. Colombia is home to many famous personalities, including pop artist Shakira, novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and figurative artist Fernando Botero.
8. There are over 80 indigenous groups in Colombia, speaking around 180 different languages.
9. The official language of Colombia is Spanish, home to the third largest Spanish-speaking population in the world after Mexico and Spain.
10. Colombia shares its borders with Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and Panama.
11. The official currency in Colombia is the Colombian Pesos.
12. Colombia is the only country in South America that has access to both the Pacific and Carribbean Ocean.
13. On a per square metre basis, Colombia is the most bio-diverse country in the world.
14. Colombians love soccer. They first qualified for the World Cup Finals in 1962.
15. The animal that represents Colombia is the majestic Andean Condor.
16. At 5,770 metres above sea level, Colombia’s Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is the tallest seaside mountain in the world.
17. 95% of the world’s emeralds originate from Boyaca, Colombia.
18. The Pacific Coast of Colombia is home to the Poison Dart Frog; one gram of its poison is enough to kill 15,000 humans.
19. The Caños Cristales at the Macarena National Park, Colombia, is the most colourful river in the world.
20. Colombia is home to more than 20% to the world’s butterfly species.